Ousmane Dembele’s transfer from Borussia Dortmund to Barcelona finally went through, but ex- Bayern Munich sporting director Matthias Sammer has branded the transfer as “a catastrophe”.
The gifted French winger was immediately linked with a move to Camp Nou following Neymar’s transfer record move to Paris Saint-Germain. Dembele did all that he could to drive the deal through and was in this manner suspended by Dortmund.
He was not by any means the only man connected with Barca, with Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho also said to be wanted by the Catalan giants, at the end of the day it was the France international who succeeded with regards to getting his potential switch.
Barca affirmed a deal had been hit with Dortmund that will see the Bundesliga side get €105million in advance, and possibly another €42m in add-ons.
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) August 25, 2017
Dembele will undergo a medical on Monday before finalizing his switch, the 20-year-old concurring to a five-year deal.
However, while some were praising the move, Sammer, who worked in as Bayern’s sporting directors until 2016, is outrage that Dembele’s conduct has basically been remunerated with precisely what he needed.
“His strike brought him where he wanted,” Sammer told Eurosport. “This is a catastrophe.
“In light of a legitimate concern for the cleanliness of football, such a conduct ought not be rewarded.”