Highbury Stadium was once Arsenal home fortress, a ground that has witness enough League brutalities and Champion League battles, until 2006 before the Gunners moved to their new home (Emirate stadium).Now the famous Highbury has been turned into something interesting.
The home ground was originally built in 1913, for recreation, was redeveloped twice, the first construction was completed in the 1930s which feature the Art Deco East and the West stands, while the second phase got completed in 1989 adding executive boxes to the clock end, and in 1993 new North Bank stand was added.
Highbury has hosted lots of international and local matches, having hosted the famous 1948 Summer Olympics and semi-finals of the FA Cup
Gunners final game at Highbury was a Premier League match against Wigan Athletic on may 7 2006, the team was in dire need of a good result to beat Tottenham in securing a Champions League ticket, been 2-1 behind, Arsenal captain and legend Thierry Henry hat-trick secure them qualification.Henry knelt down to kiss the turf on scoring and as a sign of his last goal on Highbury ground
Arsenal decided to leave for a new home, constructing a new 60,000 seat stadium in Ashburton Grove. In October 2004 the new stadium was to be called the Emirate stadium as part of a deal with Emirates Airlines, the stadia was opened in July 2006
After Highbury closure, Arsenal held out an auction to sell out most parts of the stadium including pitch, but luckily it was restructured and converted into more convenient flats as the project was called ” Highbury Square”.
Almost a total number of 711 properties was erected on the ground, the famous Clock end and the North bank stand was destroyed and redeveloped to garden
Pictures Credit: Dailymail