The CIES Football Observatory has announced its recent rankings of the most valuable players in Europe’s top five Leagues. PSG forward Neymar has edged out Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi to be named the world’s most valuable footballer.
CIES release the list every January, considering factors, such as age, position, contract status, playing performances and worldwide status to go to a valuation.
The Brazilian international Neymar proves to be the top of the current year’s list with an estimation of £188m, just ahead of Messi on £178.5m.
Tottenham and England striker Harry Kane comes in third at £172m following a staggering 2017 that saw him finish as Europe top scorer in a calendar year.
The Premier League overwhelms the list, with five of the top 10 players and 13 of the best 20 plying out their profession in England.
There were likewise some eminent notable absences from the higher classes of the list, with Cristiano Ronaldo down in 49th place with a valuation of £71m and Robert Lewandowski barely missing out for the top 20, coming in 21st with £94m.
Here are the 20 most valuable footballers in the World as indicated by the CIES Football Observatory:
1. Neymar (PSG) – £188m
2. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – £178.5m
3. Harry Kane (Tottenham) – £172m
4. Kylian Mbappe (PSG) – £170m
5. Paulo Dybala (Juventus) – £154m
6. Dele Alli (Tottenham) – £151.25m
7. Kevin de Bruyne (Manchester City) – £148m
8. Romelu Lukaku (Manchester United) – £145.5m
9. Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid) – £132m
10. Paul Pogba (Manchester United) – £130m
11. Leroy Sane (Manchester City) – £124m
12. Mo Salah (Liverpool) – £124m
13. Raheem Sterling (Manchester City) – £122m
14. Luis Suarez (Barcelona) – £113.6m
15. Marcus Rashford (Manchester United) – £112m
16. Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona) – £108.6m
17. Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City) – £108.25m
18. Eden Hazard (Chelsea) – £105.6m
19. Gonzalo Higuain (Juventus) – £99.8m
20. Alvaro Morata (Chelsea) – £95.3m